Diabetes affects nearly 400 million people worldwide and is considered to be leading cause of the deaths. Diabetes is a disease in which the body is unable to properly regulate insulin. It can be either Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes.
Diabetes alters the way your body deals with sugars in the bloodstream and can be very dangerous if left untreated. It also causes related problems like organ failure, blindness, lower body amputations, nerve damage and cardiovascular diseases. Good news is that substantial studies have shown that cannabis oil can help prevent and treat diabetes.
CBD’s impact on Diabetes treatment
Cannabis has been proven to be beneficial in a number of health problems including a migraine, cancer, depression and heart health. The effects of CBD on Diabetes is being extensively studied and research has shown great promise that cannabinoids in CBD oil can help reduce the complications of the disease. Diabetes is a metabolic disorder that is characterized by high blood glucose levels. Type 1 diabetes is known to affect individuals below the age of 30 and involves an autoimmune attack on islet cells of the pancreas – cells that produce insulin. Approximately 10% of diabetics suffer from Type 1 diabetes.
The more popular, Type 2 diabetes is usually diagnosed in obese individuals and over the age of 40. It is usually a result of a combination of defective insulin production and insulin resistance. There are a number ways in which cannabis oil may help with diabetes. First, the herb may prove to be beneficial for certain diabetes symptoms, including neuropathy, nausea, and vomiting. Secondly, early studies suggest that certain compounds in cannabis have the potential to improve insulin resistance and reduce fasting glucose.
The primary active compound in the herb, tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and its extracts help ease pain and discomfort. However, cannabidiol (CBD) and a lesser known cannabinoid, tetrahydrocannabivarin (THCV), have both shown anti-diabetic properties. In 2013, the results of a five-year study into the effects of cannabis on fasting insulin and insulin resistance were published in the American Journal of Medicine.The research showed that current users of cannabis had 16% lower fasting insulin levels than respondents who had at no time used cannabis, as well as having 17% lower levels of insulin defiance and higher levels of high-density lipoprotein cholesterol.
Top Benefits of Cannabis Oil for Diabetes
Take a look at the below listed top benefits of cannabis oil for diabetes here-
● Curtailed insulin resistance – According to American Journal of Medicine the impact of cannabis oil on glucose, insulin and insulin resistance among US adults, showed positive association and considerably lower levels of fasting insulin than non-users. The study further stated that that ongoing user of cannabis had a mean IR of 1.8, in comparison to 2.2 for past users and 2.5 for those that had never used cannabis. Present-day cannabis users were also found to have lower levels of blood glucose compared to past users and non-users.
● Forestalling Obesity – While conclusive studies establishing the relationship between BMI and cannabis is still pending, a number of national surveys and studies have shown a ray of hope. Two national surveys have found that cannabis users had lower BMI and reduced levels of obesity. Another 2012 study showed that obese rats lost significant weight and protect pancreatic islets, which are responsible for insulin production.
● Scaling down inflammation– Studies have indicated that the anti-inflammatory properties of cannabis can help treat diabetes and perhaps cardiovascular disease by attenuating oxidative stress, inflammation, cell death and fibrosis.
● May treat diabetes-induced neuropathy – Diabetic patients often experience nerve disorders and chronic neuropathic pain. A study by NCBI showed that cannabinoids demonstrated pain reducing effects in cases of diabetes-induced neuropathy in rats. However, human studies are yet to yield the same results.
● May treat diabetic retinopathy – Diabetes is known to have a fatal effect on sight. Studies by American Journal of Pathology have shown that CBD significantly lowers oxidative stress and neurotoxicity, and helps protect the eye from damaging retinal cell death and the breakdown of the blood-retinal barrier.
Selecting the Right Cannabis Strains for Effective Diabetes Control
There is a wide range of marijuana strains available today, shown to have different effects on different parts of body and brain. They range from Aurora Indica strains that are used for recreation as well as a medicinal value for treating insomnia, to Sativas that are beneficial in improving energy levels and alertness. In order to find the most effective marijuana seeds, you should do your research and understand their effects better. Read the reviews online and learn from experiences of others.
THC and CBD are two main active ingredients that have shown anti-diabetic properties. Some of the popular choices for diabetes treatments include cannabis like Harlequin, Doug’s Varin, Sour Tsunami, Cannatonic, Black Beauty and Northern Lights. Be careful about the legality of marijuana in your place before planning to buy the herb.
While there are numerous scientific research and studies to indicate the positive effects of diabetes treatment and prevention, FDA has approved it as a natural remedy and supplement only. Hence, there is no official intake method and dosage, that can be recommended. It is always best to be taken under the supervision of a medical practitioner.
Cannabis has a lot of potential in both type 1 and 2 diabetes treatment and can really help patients cope with the difficult symptoms of diabetes. If you suffer from diabetes and are interested in using medicinal cannabis oil to treat your condition, schedule an evaluation with one of qualified physicians to be approved for your medical recommendation.